Retainers are needed after completion of orthodontic treatment to keep the teeth in their proper location. Teeth naturally tend to move throught life, and retainers help prevent this.
These are some guidelines for using your retainers:
- Please wear retainers faithfully, otherwise teeth WILL SHIFT.
- Remove retainers by grasping as far in the back as possible.
- Brush retainers everyday with SLIGHTLY warm water. You may soak retainers in a denture cleaner (eg. Efferdent) 2 times per week.
- DO NOT place retainers in hot water or in a warm place.
- DO NOT WRAP retainers in paper (napkin) or place on lunch tray.
- Keep retainers away from pets.
- Keep retainers in retainer case when not in your mouth.
- Call us as soon as possible if you lose or break your retainer.
SCHEDULE OF WEAR:
- First Year - Every night (put them in after brushing)
- Second Year - Dr. Culberson will held you determine how often you should be wearing your retainers.
- Third Year (and after) - Every other night or at least 2 nights per week (every night still gets the best result!). But again, Dr. Culberson will held you determine how often you should be wearing your retainers.